10 tips to optimize your website for online sales
Once you’ve got your website up and running, you, an in-house IT staffer or an IT consultant should optimize it for best results. Brandify SA a South African provider of web internet solutions for small and midsize companies, suggests 10 ways to optimize your website:
- Test your site early and often. Plan ahead to ensure your site can handle heavy shopping traffic.
- Test your content for misspelled words, broken links, busted pictures, etc.
- Make sure images load quickly. A slow-loading page may drive customers away.
- Install, verify and test all patches and upgrades.
- “Load test” your site to see how much traffic it can support. A web maintenance service can tell you how you do.
- Create sample transactions. These can simulate expected customer traffic and web transactions. By running “synthetic” transactions periodically–say, every five to 15 minutes–you’ll know if there is a problem before your customers do.
- Check the performance of your network provider. You can do this by looking at a site that is simi-lar to yours in your area but connected to another network.
- Add cross-sell and upsell opportunities throughout your site. This means, for example, suggesting table linens on the dinnerware, silverware and glassware pages. Offer “Top Gift Suggestions” or “Bestsellers” to improve sales and drive impulse purchase opportunities.
- Make it easy to find and contact live customer service. Providing an easy-to-find phone number on the site helps online shoppers feel more secure. Clearly state your company’s return policy.
- Make your search function more effective. Your search function should accommodate common misspellings by returning similarly spelled items or your site’s most popular search terms.